[OTR-users] Otr for blackberry

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Jun 20 09:34:21 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:52:25AM +0000, christopher.lemire at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I use otr in both linux and windblows. A lot of people I
> communicate with use it. They send me otr encrypted messages not
> knowing I'm on my phone and I see the message as unencrypted. I was
> wondering if it would be possible to make otr for the blackberry
> phone. The instant messenger client supports many protocols and uses
> libpurple. I forgot which version of libpurple, but I can find out.

Are you sure?  libpurple is a C library, and (third-party) BB progs have
to be written in J2ME.

That said, we're working on a java version of libotr, so this will
hopefully be possible soon.

> Would this be difficult to port? Another thought was having otr use
> gpg keys. Authentication could be set up without otr by signing public
> keys. Thanks.

Lots of people suggest that, but don't take into account that there's no
standard way to indicate your IM username and network in your gpg
userid, so manual intervention would still be required.