[OTR-users] [OTR-dev] Reccomended version of libgcrypt? Libotr status messages.

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Wed Jul 22 18:56:03 EDT 2009

Am 22.07.2009 um 22:02 schrieb Ian Goldberg:

> I'd actually love to get your feedback on whether what's in CVS now
> would work for you.

Putting it on my TODO.

>> One question though: Would it be possible to encrypt whole stanzas
>> maybe in a way that is still compatible with transports? For example
>> you encrypt the body in a way that is backwards-compatible and then
>> you
>> encrypt additional tags that can be attached to a message (like
>> XHTML-IM) separately, which are then only handled if the client on
>> the
>> other side is a Jabber client.

In XMPP, a message is more than just a text message. I will
demonstrate with a few stanzas:

<message to='foo at bar' type='chat'>
</message>

This is just a plain message that you can also send in for example
ICQ. It's just text. But you can also have stuff like this:

<message to='foo at bar' type='chat'>
<foobar xmlns='http://foobar/'>This is an additional element with
extra info</foobar>
</message>

This extra info can be almost anything. It can be the same message
again in XHTML with formatting. It can be additional info like a mood
attached to the message. There is an endless count of XEPs (XMPP
Extension Protocols) that does this.

But there is also this type of message:
<message to='foo at bar' type='chat'>
<blah xmlns='http://blah/'>This message has no actual message, only
extra info</blah>
</message>

The idea is:

Send type 1 like you would send a message to an ICQ user.

Type 2 would be a bit more complicated:
Take the <body> element and encrypt it like you would for an ICQ user.
Take the other tags and encrypt them and send them as additional info,
so ICQ clients would ignore it and only XMPP clients would handle it.

For type 3, it would be like for type 2, but you send an empty
message, which should be completely ignored by ICQ etc.

Hope I clarified what I meant a little bit :).

--
Jonathan