[OTR-users] [otr-users] Communication with Pidgin to Miranda (or others) has encoding problemes

Rainer rainercg at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 23 19:48:36 EST 2009

Paul Aurich wrote:
> The real problem, as I see it, is that the libpurple sending-im signal is
> triggered from libpurple's core and is sent before the protocols have
> gotten a chance to munge the message into the format they want (plaintext
> for ICQ, plaintext (+ optionally XHTML-IM) for XMPP, whole-buffer
> formatting for MSN, etc). This means that the message contains markup when
> the other side may not really want it.

I see... that's not how it should work, is it? I'm sending plain text
messages over ICQ with all possible combinations of sender/receiver clients,
there are no problems without OTR encryption. But there are some when
encrypting a message that SHOULD be without markup.

So is there a possibility to change the order of

1) encrypt written text
2) strip message to plain text

to 2) first, then 1)?
Seems to be either a Pidgin problem or a problem in the plugins's
implementation. If it's the latter, why are the developers deedless in spite
of a well known error?

>> As such, the libpurple implementation is wrong, while Miranda and climm
>> are correct.
>
> Then shouldn't Miranda and cliMM either be complaining vociferously that
> they received an invalid XMPP stanza or displaying the markup (i.e., the
> message from gdb in my previous message would appear as
> "foobarzle<br><br>foobarzle" in Miranda/cliMM, not
> "foobarzle<br><br>foobarzle")?

I could also ask why Pidgin is parsing such a message like
"foobar<br>newline" into a real new line, while there is no parsing when
sending a plain text message. Seems that Miranda/cliMM can handle messages
with markups but don't parse them. :(

Scott Ellis wrote:
> I've spoken about this at length a long while back.
>
> At present there is another plugin for miranda called 'NoHtml' to help with the problem.

I'm sorry, but "NoHtml" does not help for this problem. At least not for me.
It is unparsing HTML tags like "<a href="this/is/a/url">Click</a>" into a
plain text or a BBcoded link. But it is not unparsing HTML entities like
< or ".

Bye,
Rainer Grabbe