[OTR-users] QQ is blocking OTR

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Oct 20 22:05:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 02:08:25AM +0100, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
>  > Therefore, I believe the explanation that remains is that the recent
> > failure of QQ to work with OTR is due to a decrease by Tencent in the
> > maximum message size you can send over QQ. This is consistent with the
> > Adium error messages, and is an issue that could probably be addressed
> > without too much difficulty.
> >

> Hopefully this can be implemented quite painlessly

In recent libotr, it can be.  There's a file you can stick in your
.purple directory (or whatever it's called on Windows; the directory
where your otr.fingerprints and otr.private_key file live).

It's called otr.max_message_size and you can put a line in it that looks
like:

proto_name<tab>mms<nl>

So:

prpl-irc	417

(that's a tab between the prpl-irc and the 417).

I don't know what the protocol name for qq is (prpl-qq, maybe?), but it
should show up in your accounts.xml file.  Try a few values for the MMS,
but from what you say, something in the 400-500 range is probably good.

Of course, both of you have to be using libotr 3.1.0 or later.