[OTR-users] QQ is blocking OTR

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Oct 17 11:06:34 EDT 2008

Or maybe change the initial sequence to something random that is harder
to identify with just pattern matching.

Gilles.

Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> After some experimentation I do believe that the Chinese messaging
> service QQ provided by Tencent
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_QQ) is blocking OTR. I signed up
> for two QQ ids and on two different PCs I installed Pidgin with the OTR
> plugin.
>
> I was able to send messages in English back and forth with no
> problems.  I was not able to start a private conversation though.  So
> knowing a little bit about how OTR works I decided to send the
> following short strings through QQ via a normal Pidgin chat window:
>
> ?
> ?O
> ?OT
> ?OTR
>
> The first three were sent and received the last one ?OTR wasn't, so
> Tencent must be blocking OTR sessions.  Perhaps it might be worth
> informing potential users of OTR with QQ that it won't work and that if
> they want to use OTR they'll have to switch to a different IM provider.
>
> I use MSN + OTR to chat with a friend in the People's Republic of
> China, so Microsoft China don't appear to have blocked OTR, yet.  I
> can't vouch for any other protocols w.r.t Chinese users as I haven't
> tested them.
>
> All things considered this is a big blow for privacy when communicating
> with Chinese internet users as QQ is the most used IM service over
> there.
>
> regards,
>
> Ananda Samaddar

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*
<http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN
Messenger : Gilles at Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier
<aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>
"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun."