[OTR-users] OTR conversation window menu

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Nov 26 19:44:13 EST 2008

On Wed 2008-11-26 14:32:21 -0500, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> In this common case, you effectively have a single menu, headed by
> "OTR [icon]".  Only part of the header gets highlighed when you pull it
> down, but that hardly seems worth changing if it causes inconsistency
> with the next common case, no?

I dunno.  Andrei and i were both confused by it.  I understand what
you're saying, and it will certainly never bother me again now that i
get it.  But if it turns new users (and more specifically,
non-developers) away from using OTR because of confusion in their
first attempts, that would be a shame.

I don't really have a better suggestion either, other than just
stuffing the icon to the principal OTR menuitem in the
single-conversation case, and breaking them all out separately in the
multi-conversation case.  Can the pidgin GUI toolkit do tooltips over
menuitems?

I'll play with the menus next time i'm using pidgin and see if i can
figure anything better out.  Sorry i'm not more of a UI designer.

        --dkg