[OTR-users] otr support in gajim?

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Nov 20 18:29:08 EST 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

> Actually, we don't think so. OTR is mostly used in legacy networks (this is
> how the XMPP world calls ICQ, MSN etc.) which will sooner or later fade away,
> thus it's better to use what is standarized by the XSF and promote that
> instead of embracing a workaround/hack.

> client, as it's easy to implement. It's far better for Gajim to invest
> resources into that than into OTR, because all developers of major clients
> already agreed on standards at xmpp.org to implement it once it's finished.

Funny that, I thought IETF standards required, apart from concensus on
the protocol, *running code*... In fact two different interoperating
implementations of such running code.

In the end, it is your software and your choice. But alienating people
by saying "just migrate over" is not going to actually get people migrated
over.

Paul, of to IETF cookies