[OTR-users] otr support in gajim?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Nov 13 02:00:37 EST 2008

On Wed 2008-11-12 23:19:43 -0500, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> Gajim 0.12 will feature client-to-client encryption, taking
> advantage of XEP 0116, thus effectively removing the need for
> OTR. Of course, the Jabber client on the other end has to support
> XEP 0116 as well, but that's no different than both supporting
> OTR. I suspect more and more clients will be XEY 0116 compatible.

I'd never heard of XEP 0116 before, so i looked it up.  The first
google hit was:

  http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0116.html

Which says in red at the top:

  WARNING: Consideration of this document has been Deferred by the
  XMPP Standards Foundation. Implementation of the protocol described
  herein is not recommended.

This doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to me, but i don't know
the scene very well.  Do you know the backstory here?  Can you point
to some good documentation about what is going on with this protocol?

            --dkg