[OTR-users] "Automatically initiate private messaging" doesn't work

Alexander Buchner alexander.buchner at gmx.de
Sun May 4 18:13:54 EDT 2008

Sorry, it's kind of weird.
The situation is like this: I know my friend's ICQ and Jabber Account. Both
are in my contact list and I "melted" them per "Expand"-Command. He did the
same with my two Accounts, but we both had a different order. For me his
"main account" (the upper one) was his Jabber, and vice versa.
And here is the problem. When you rightclick on a "bundled" Contact, I
think you know what I mean, and select "OTR-Settings" only the main account
will be affected. So he didn't look up his OTR-settings for my jabber but
for my ICQ account. Can you follow me?
In our last test he noticed, that my Jabber account had different
OTR-Settings, "Automatically initiate..." was deactivated. After he
activated this option, everything worked fine.
So we went back and put the options as they were to produce the log for you
but we couldn't reproduce the scenario. The OTR encryption always kicked in
immediately.
Actually I think his client should have responded to my OTR-Request,
independently from his option "Automatically initiate...". It didn't but we
can't reproduce for now. I'm sorry.

But you should think about the rightclick->OTR-Settings problem. The
settings one edits should be applied for ALL Accounts under this
"meta-account", not only the most upper one. Am I right?

Alexander