[OTR-users] List of OTR-aware software

Rick Valenzuela rick at rickv.com
Thu Jun 26 16:40:06 EDT 2008

db wrote:

> I find it really funny that you recommend me to not keeps logs. I
> guess you immediately delete all e-mailsyou receive, burn all paper
> invoices (although the actual payment probably is traceable anyway),
> delete all browser cookies regularly etc. I on the other hand like to
> keep documentation (agreements, phone bills, personal letters) of some
> events for future reference.
[...]
> I don't use it any more, but I have subscribed to this mailing list
> for some time to find out a reason to start use it but the more I
> read, the more useless I consider it. I will probably start blocking
> people trying to use OTR with me in the near future since I see no
> reason for friends or people I work with to desire "deniability" about
> what they have written to me. If my manager would ask me to do
> something and then be able to deny that he sent me such a message - I
> can only see disadvantages with that situation.

It might not be useful to you now or at most times, but does that mean
there will never be a situation that you want that kind of privacy? Your
argument about logs and paper reciepts -- the flip side of that can be
just as extreme: keeping receipts for every candy bar or demanding the
newsstand guy to write a bill for your newspaper. It brings to mind the
phrase "horses for courses": applied here, you choose the mode of
communication that is adequate and desirable for the situation at hand.

I don't encrypt every email, and while i sign most email with gnupg, i
don't sign all emails. I don't say my social security number over a
cellphone, but i don't feel the need to whisper it into my bank
manager's ear either.

The time may come when I want to IM someone at their job about workroom
politics. If I trust that person not to log that conversation, OTR would
allow me to do that, instead of waiting to talk in person or on the
phone later. Convenience when you need it.

--
Rick Valenzuela
photographer | reporter