[OTR-users] List of OTR-aware software

Lou Springer lou at louspringer.com
Wed Jun 25 11:50:16 EDT 2008

Brian,

Speaking for myself, the message content encryption is sufficient for
my *current* needs. I also occasionally need the logs for the message
content as db has outlined. My diminishing 52 year old memory requires
the augmentation.

The core requirement for OTR as you have outlined it is interesting,
and I was unaware of this important distinction between OTR and
conventional encryption like SSL. I personally have no *current* need
for it. However, I would *strongly* stipulate it is an important and
necessary capability, and would never suggest otherwise.

I should say I'm not a big fan of anonymity in normal civil discourse,
in person or on the web, particularly as a default mode of operation.
However, there are unfortunately times and circumstances for it.

The inherent tendency of all things on the web to be recorded in much
greater mind-numbing totality does distinguish web communication from
normal public discourse. Its rare that public conversations and phone
calls are recorded unbeknownst to the participants. The same can't be
said for email, chat and browsing behavior, which I always assume are
meticulously recorded in every detail for all time, good bad or
otherwise.

Lou