[OTR-users] List of OTR-aware software

Michael Reichenbach michael_reichenbach at freenet.de
Thu Jun 19 12:13:45 EDT 2008

Ian Goldberg schrieb:
> I'm making a web page of OTR-aware software:
>
> http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/software.php
>
> If you know of any that isn't on that list, please reply to this message
> and tell me about it.  (Please include a URL.)
>
> Thanks!
>
>    - Ian

I think it would be good to mention that the Pidgin OTR plugin is the
offical one from the original project. This is important. It's also the
only one I would recommend.

Only this plugin is made by developers who may be verified to have a
clue about programming and cryptography.

I have seen other encryption plugins for other messengers which had
serious security bugs. See
http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthread.php?t=4768&page=25 a bug where
you could trick the encryption easily just by using another client and
no more security updates. This plugin is still listed in lists with
encryption plugins in the wiki and people use it... Therefore it's
important to use plugins from serious programmers or at least if there
was serious reviews.

-mr