[OTR-users] Re: [OTR-announce] pidgin-otr 3.2.0 released

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Jun 16 07:42:15 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:41:11PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>
> >We are pleased to announce the release of pidgin-otr 3.2.0 (along with
> >libotr 3.2.0).
>
> While building libotr, I still get these:
>
> libotr.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/otr_modify
> ['/usr/lib64']
> libotr.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/otr_sesskeys
> ['/usr/lib64']
> libotr.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/otr_parse
> ['/usr/lib64']
> libotr.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/otr_remac
> ['/usr/lib64']
> libotr.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/otr_readforge
> ['/usr/lib64']
> libotr.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/otr_mackey
> ['/usr/lib64']

I'm not actually sure what this indicates.  There's a "-R /usr/lib64"
being added to the link command somewhere?  Is it the result of
configure (with the Fedora arguments) or something else?

> Some GUI items:
>
> When you have the icon and text "not private", you can only right click
> on it. Can we make left click do "start new private conversation" ?

That was actually a specific complaint people had in our user study.
They couldn't figure out how to make the menu come up, since
right-clicking isn't one of the "affordances" (in HCI-speak) of a
button.  So we made it left-click.  But we put "Start private
conversation" as the top thing in the menu, so it would be very easy to
get to.

> When you are "private" (eg you have authenticated the other end), the
> menu shows "Authenticate user". It implies (wrongly) that the user was
> not yet authenticated.  Can that be changed to "Re-authenticate user"?

We can probably do that.

> I tried twice to have a private+unverified conversation going with the same
> (pidgin) collapsed user, and see if it would fault back to the unverified
> instead of the private user but failed. So if that's part of the design,
> kudos!
> If it was just accident, please consider it a feature request :)

OTR doesn't override where pidgin wants to send the message (which is to
whomever is selected in the "Send To" menu).  But the appropriate status
is highlighted in the menu bar, and indicated in the OTR button in the
toolbar.  Is that what you're asking?

> Fedora packages have been build into devel, and should migrate into the
> releases over the next two days.

Thanks!