[OTR-users] irssi-otr 0.1 released

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jul 15 08:02:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:57:11AM +0200, Uli M wrote:
> Sry for the late answer, for some reason my earlier posts got lost.

Sorry about that; the lists were down this week after I did the
global security update, and I didn't notice until yesterday.  :-(

> That's fixed in v0.2. Problem was that pidgin and irssi-otr use
> different fragmentation thresholds (maximum message sizes) which lead
> irssi-otr to try to reassemble messages that didn't need reassembling
> (only by libotr). I do hope libotr4 will have both sides agree on a
> maximum message size to avoid such problems.

Can you give more details about this problem?  I don't see why having
different MMS on the two sides should be a problem, so long as each is
small enough to get the messages through.  Each side's libotr should
reassemble the received fragments itself, before passing them on to
their respective applications.

Right now, the plan is for libotr4 to have the same MMS setup as the
current libotr (though the interface to actually do the fragmentation
will be cleaner, as Willy posted: it will just be a parameter to
otrl_message_sending): each side has a callback which takes a
ConnContext and returns the appropriate MMS.