[OTR-users] pidgin-otr: passphrase private key and sign public keys

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 14:33:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 20:24:03 +0200
"Julian Dibbelt" <jdibbelt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just recently installed OTR via the pidgin plugin but quickly
> realized that neither is my private key stored encrypted on the disk
> nor has the list of public keys of my friends been signed with my
> private key.

That's not the point of OTR, if someone else uses your identity to talk
to a friend of yours then what they say is even more plausibly deniable
than if you'd said it. What's the problem?

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html