[OTR-users] Initiating OTR from an irssi client to pidgin

cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:42:35 EST 2008

* Uli M <a.sporto+bee at gmail.com> [2008-12-01 18:04]:

> The way irssi-otr currently operates (policy opportunistic) you can
> just write "hello" and an OTR session should be initiated. This
> might take some time though, e.g. if you use ICQ via bitlbee.

Thanks for the feedback.  Bitlbee and the ICQ network are in fact
being used.  However, the first thing attempted was to simply start
chatting.  It didn't work.  The Pidgin side gets plaintext.

We also tried generating a key in advance on the irssi side:

  /otr genkey <UID>@login.icq.com