[OTR-users] UI-choices for OTR button

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Sep 17 21:28:07 EDT 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, 412MN wrote:

> what I tried to say about the multiple button issue was it can
> obviously be done.

Then please tell me how you handle the case of multiple identities
talking in one screen while one of the IM servers goes down, without
leaking plaintext

> > Look in the archive of what the padlock symbol is unusuable for
> > OTR. It has been explained dozens of times.
>
> I think you got me wrong, I'm not suggesting to use the padlock icon
> but to create a similar icon that will be used to indicate if OTR is
> activated. If you'd tell me what resources (resolution, format etc.) I
> can use to provide a button I would create one for a start. I'm
> thinking of a typewriter key that lights up in green when activated
> and has red line crossing it when disabled or the other way around
> (because a record is usually  written by a typist).

You are still thinking of "activated" and "disabled", but we have more
then two states - Inactive, Unverified and Private.

I am not sure how changing icons is addressing the issue of of gaim's
"grouping bug" where it flips between accounts at random.

Paul