[OTR-users] OTR Request (Message Notification)

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Oct 28 11:21:24 EDT 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Ken Hensley wrote:

> Sometimes I'm online and others on the buddy list are
> not... So the messages I send they will not be able to
> read & vice-versa.
>
> Any chance of implementing this into otr if it is
> possible ?

There are two reasons for them not being on the list.
Either they are really offline, or they have a temporary network
issue. If they are really offline, then you cannot talk to them
with OTR. Since OTR requires communication back and forth. You
cannot work around it because an attacker could then make it
appear to you the other user was online (and for example you
would be using the same key for all messaes instead of a new
key).

If the user has a glidge, and comes back online, you should
be able to automatically resume the conversation. With your
last message or two being resend.

Paul