[OTR-users] Cannot start private conversation

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Oct 23 11:47:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Sturgess, Chris wrote:

> I am unable to start a private conversation with another user. We are
> both using Pidgin 2.2.1 with OTR 3.1.0-1 on Windows. When clicking the
> OTR button, the message window says it's attempting to start the private
> conversation with the user, but nothing happens afterwards. There isn't
> anything of interest in debug window when clicking the button, so I'm
> wondering if it's a network issue.
>

> How does OTR perform its initial handshake? Could it be one or both of
> us have a port blocked that must be open?

The message is just a "text message", so if you can send plaintext IM's
you can send OTR messages.

Does the other user see any message? Perhaps the other end did install
the otr plugin, but not enable it in the plugin list? but that should
show to "the other user send you an OTR mesage, click here for more
information" dialog.

Paul