[OTR-users] japanese/chinese signs when beginning conversation + wrong character encoding

Benjamin Wilde paddler86 at gmx.de
Sun Nov 4 10:27:01 EST 2007

hi folks

since i've upgraded to miranda 0.7 (problem stays with 0.7.1), all my friends receive different japanese or chinese signs at the beginning of a conversation.
the problem occurs everytime, wether i or them start the conversation. it does not depend on the client software they use or if they use OTR or not.

additionally all german umlauts (like ö,ä, ....) are not encoded correctly (drüber = drüber). when i disable the otr-plugin, they are encoded correctly.

all of this worked fine under miranda 0.6.8; referring to miranda 0.7 changelog (major updates concerning encoding) i'd guess the kind of handling character encoding changed in a way that produces these errors.

i found no help in the forum, so can anyone offer me a solution or workaround for these problems?
(further information: i'm running windows XP SP2, miranda 0.7.1, OTR version is 0.5.2.0)

thanks for any help