[OTR-users] Odd bug of gaim-otr not recognising itself? (fwd)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue May 15 16:46:48 EDT 2007

(04:39:45 PM) Paul: hey :)
(04:39:45 PM) Message could not be sent because a connection error occurred:
?OTR:AAIDAAAAABcAAAAXAAAAwI29mNMMoIpPBNOYD6zADAElJpRRfY4OwipH/Q4q28P7188SY8l64yoFiBgF8sSO6PfLNB3HgkuP1ZwktAtXoKm+f7R0l5378bwMCqx8wJzySKimpVB7Hm20meqazM3nt+8AXEd505Nd0c9SP4KJ7l8K14yuX8/wRHq7vAvCp91Ixj5gJe63TGKnJ6wyjER/yMx6sAGPEiKC6MqINJ3tOMK6Cp0vAzXBJWdBwN82X2S4Zj34IuevxiYw3nnGZnPo4wAAAAAAAAABAAAAB5+5qxfNHdVXFS2a2Z/wOgN1prAVdAsxDKrmTQAAABRIcEOo2lVg1uZZzrdR/pMgflFSVg==.
[ I hit the OTR button ]
(04:39:50 PM) Attempting to refresh the private conversation with fenotr at hotmail.com...
(04:39:50 PM) Message could not be sent because a connection error occurred:
?OTR?v2?

tegnl at hotmail.com has requested an http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/.  However, you do not have a plugin to support that.

See http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ for more information.

Probably, the target "fenotr" switched machines with me, not sure if
that is relevant.  And shortly after this error, the user went offline
(or was he really not online before, but wrongly listed)

Still, the error is confusing, *I* have OTR installed and a plugin that
supports otr. I guess this is happening because gaim is repeating
the unsend message. Perhaps OTR should be able to repress the
"?OTR?v2?" bounced messages? After all, i did not type that message,
I just clicked on the button.

Paul