[OTR-users] default action for otr button when in "other end finished" state

Adam Zimmerman adam_zimmerman at sfu.ca
Fri Mar 16 16:49:13 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-16-03 at 19:10 +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> I understand your fear of the other end closing OTR, and us automatically
> following suit and accidentally sending something in the clear - though
> that could be avoided by defaulting to "never send something in the clear
> per default if we have an OTR key for this person",

There's an obvious counterexample to that solution, which I've noticed
before. I have an AIM contact who uses Adium most of the time, and in
those conversations, OTR works perfectly. But sometimes (not sure why)
she uses the official AIM client, and so our conversations aren't
protected. Your feature would prevent us from talking when that happens.

> or simply demanding
> a confirmation to send in the clear after the event that the other end
> closed our secure communications.

As long as there's a way to do it without a dialog, that sounds OK. One
of my favourite features of newer gaim-otr versions is that there are
very few dialog boxes to get in the way of my conversations.

--
Adam Zimmerman <adam_zimmerman at sfu.ca>

CREATIVITY  - http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/movingimages/Building_on_the_Past.mpg
ALWAYS      - http://www.musiccreators.ca/
BUILDS      - http://www.ubuntu.com/
ON THE PAST - http://www.theopencd.org/
--

 Q:  How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job?
A:  Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.