[OTR-users] Gaim Beta 6 changes the AIM protocol from prpl-oscar to prpl-aim

Robert A. Thompson rthompson at ati-security.net
Fri Jan 26 16:00:46 EST 2007

Hey guys,

Looks like the latest beta of gaim (2b6) changed some things again.
Although I am not able to patch/recompile otr for gaim, I do want to let
you know I discovered that the protocol name(s) (at least) changed for
AIM services.  As OTR relies on protocol name and username to match
fingerprints, I had to do the following:

In windows, I went to my profile directory \Application Data\.gaim\.
 From there I did a string replace in otr.fingerprints and
otr.private_key to replace prpl-oscar with prpl-aim.   This in turn
updated OTR to know that i already had fingerprints for the
accounts/protocols i use most often.

Although OTR doesn't work 100% (missing buttons, for example) it seems
to establish private sessions with other OTR users I interact with in
gaim 2 beta 6.

- Rob