[OTR-users] Request for review of Encryption Guide

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 05:07:23 EST 2007

Hi OTR-users

Would anyone on this list be prepared to look over a document I've put
together which explains the need for encryption email/IM and various ways of
doing it (with focus on OTR for IM)?

I'm going to use it whilst recruiting research participants for my PhD
project. My project relates to recreational drug use and participation in
online forums / bulletin boards where drugs are discussed (see
http://db.ndri.curtin.edu.au/research.asp?resprtyid=12&typeid=1&projid=390for
further description).

The document aims to provide an option to suit research participants with
varied levels of concern about privacy, hence I have mentioned sub-optimal
options such as using an email address or log-in details that are not
connected to real names should participants be unable/unwilling to use
encryption.

I intend to distribute this document to people who have expressed an
interest in participation, as well as upon the forthcoming project website.
So it will be public and given it heavily promotes OTR, I also thought it
would be great to include an endorsement from someone from the OTR team at
the end of the document. I'm a psychology graduate without any formal
training in data security - so for my own peace of mind, I am keen to have
the document endorsed too. A senior IT member of staff at my university has
looked at my procedures, but not really in enough detail to satisfy me!

Here is a link to it: http://savefile.com/files/516341

Primarily I'm interested in fixing any statements that are incorrect, but
also in any other ideas anyone has about clarity/usability. Comments on my
project are welcome too!

thanks
monica