[OTR-users] Jabber, OTR and offline messages

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Feb 21 13:13:19 EST 2007

Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> The question is what to do in this case? If OTR knows about the jabber
> state of the target (online or offline), then it probably should refuse
> a new OTR connection. But it should definitely not send a plaintext
> message either, especially because it can be stored on the jabber server
> for a while before the other party logs on again to retrieve it.

OTR cannot know about the online/offline state, because this might be
a session with somehow with whom presence is not being exchanged.  or
presence might be temporarily withdrawn.    jabber itself doesn't
impose a 'need presence in order to send' rule, so OTR shouldn't
either.

I have never never seen a storm like you are reporting, even with
someone who I talk to often but goes on and offline, sometimes
exiting, sometimes not.  System is NetBSD with gaim 1.5 and
libotr/gaim-otr 3.0.0.