[OTR-users] Jabber, OTR and offline messages

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Feb 20 11:44:07 EST 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> OTR requests don't time out.  If your buddy was online (and had not
> quite gaim since sending the original message), the OTR handshake would
> have succeeded.

> active OTR session with you.  In that event, the Jabber server would
> store the OTR-encrypted message, and he'll be able to read it the next
> time he's online.  [This happens if you disconnect from the net, or from
> Jabber, but leave gaim running, for example.]

Okay. So what happens when the other person restarted gaim? The delayed
message to that person would be unreadable and that person would
reinitiate back to us and things should be fine. Or if I'm not online
anymore, we might run into these messages ad infinitum if we keep
missing each other.

I am trying to figure out this long standing "otr storm" bug. It seems
related to long idle sessions, but the exact circumstances still
elude me. Guess I should keep the tcpdump running until I'm hit again.

Paul