[OTR-users] Gaim OTR is only for' geeks', to complicated for regular users, suggestion.....

readytogo2 readytogo2 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 20 17:16:15 EST 2007

Felix Schaefers schrieb:
> A plugin or extra software is always complicated, as long as the
> companies don't integrate it directly it won't be used by many people
> due to laziness. "Why use encryption when chatting works without?" For
> normal chats Gaim is easy, but especially teens (except me ;) ) just
> need the games, the smilies, the blinking stuff from msn and co. and
> thus won't use gaim.

The companies will never include it because them want to spy out the
users. Look at their end user agreements. It`s quite obvious. The next
question besides "Why use encryption when chatting works without?" could
be "Why encrypt if I have nothing to hide?". But it`s possible to
explain people why it`s a better idea to keep privacy instant of
"nothing to hide".
> Nevertheless, I convinced several to switch when
> they were tired of starting 2 messengers each time they went online.

Yes, but it`s very worse to give step by step instructions all time. The
portable version is also a bit harder to use then the setup.
> I find OTR easy enough to install, solutions like Gaim portable make it
> even more easier. Isn't it possible to offer a prepackaged Gaim+OTR from
> the Gaim website directly?
Well. This would be a good solution for now. This doesn`t mean I still
think a rebuild of simp pro would be the best we could offer.

An installer  for Gaim Portable with OTR Portable.

Ok, installer and portable are two different worlds why put it
together.... The adventage of portable software is that it won`t save
any data to another directory then it`s main directrory and all
settings, passwords and otr files are stored in the main directory and
not in docouments and settings folder.

I don`t like the non portable version because it will save data in
documents and settings folder. If you want to save your gaim settings
and key files later you have to use the portable version.

But the two installer vesions (gaim setup and otr setup) are more easy
to install. So, Portable Game and Portable OTR packaged as a extract
only and installer version aswell would be the most easy solution.