[OTR-users] Gaim plugin and archiving

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon May 8 16:19:04 EDT 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Didier Frick wrote:

> There _is_ software that can reasonably guarantee you the guy is not
> logging by not allowing him to, unless he goes out of his way, which you
> can't prevent anyway I agree.

Yes, it is called DRM.

> To me "forward secrecy" means "the message you just sent cannot be
> retrieved, ever, no matter what happens". OK, maybe it's not the
> technical definition but I suspect it's the one most "end users" will
> understand.

If you cannot trust the person you are talking to, or the person's machine
you are talking to, then you shouldn't be talking to him and trust OTR.

> If you don't use logging, this condition is true thanks to
> the design of the OTR protocol.

Not really. Spyware can still see the decrypted text on his machine. You
have got to trust it, or not talk.

> the protection offered by the OTR protocol, both for you and for the
> party you're communicating with.

OTR is about protecting the message IN TRANSIT, not at either end.

Paul