[OTR-users] Gaim plugin and archiving

Nikita Borisov me at nikita.ca
Sun May 7 15:13:02 EDT 2006

On 5/7/06, Didier Frick <didier at dfr.ch> wrote:
> There _is_ software that can reasonably guarantee you the guy is not
> logging by not allowing him to, unless he goes out of his way, which you
> can't prevent anyway I agree.

A user doesn't necessarily have to go out of his way; he could instead
be using a different OTR-enabled client that doesn't have this forced
disabling of logging, or an simply older version of gaim-otr.  So even
if we disallowed logging of OTR conversations, the guarantees you get
about what your conversation partner is doing with his logs are pretty
weak.  I would be not in favor of implementing this and
inconveniencing a large number of users who *do* want to log their
conversations and take the chance that their computers will be
compromised and logs may be stolen, in exchange for the ability to
later look at conversation logs.

But I think a default option to disable logging whenever OTR is used
would be a good idea, since to most people "off-the-record"
intuitively means that no records should be kept, as long as we give
people the option of turning the logs back on.

- Nikita