[OTR-users] OTR on aim and multiple logins

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Mar 27 10:14:13 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Greg Troxel wrote:

> This problem affects jabber also, but jabber has a disambiguator field
> called "resource".  It would be nice to be able to use a
> protocol-provided disambiguator if present.

gaim-otr is aware of the difference of two jabber logins. If you set
the resource differently and not have both set to "gaim" :)

> It'ts arguably a privacy bug to send the idle time.

It is a user setting, so the user is fully in control of whether or not
he wants people to know. For me, gaim offers an even more fine-grained
control by only changing the idle time for "gaim" instead of "system"
idleness, so I can work on my computer, but as long as I'm not using
gaim, I register as "idle". Even better would be a per-user idle
setting, though I think you would still run into issues with either
your boss or your lover(s), depending on which resource you are
currently logged into. In fact, for a while I had disabled the idle
time and check completely, but it resulted in a DDOS attack of my
friends with "are you there" messages.....

Paul