[OTR-users] OTR on aim and multiple logins

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Mar 27 08:12:01 EST 2006

  Instead his problem is that he leaves multiple systems logged into AIM
  on the same accounts...

  And OTR between his systems and mine enter into a war...

This problem affects jabber also, but jabber has a disambiguator field
called "resource".  It would be nice to be able to use a
protocol-provided disambiguator if present.

  I send some OTR related message, both his clients respond. I see there
  are two responses. I send another OTR message saying 'how long since
  you last received user input'.  Both respond. I pick the most recent,
  and I direct all further messages to him and the losing client stays
  quiet because the messages are not directed to his ID.

It'ts arguably a privacy bug to send the idle time.  An alternative is
to do the key exchange with both.

An underlying issue which would be helpful to resolve or characterize
would be how the various messaging systems deliver messages in such
circumstances.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>