[OTR-users] Terminal proxy?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Jan 23 09:58:31 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:01:29AM -0500, Bryan Kam wrote:
> I think this may have been mentioned before because I remember reading some
> discussion of curses wxWidget implementation, but I am wondering if there
> are any plans to allow OTR Proxy to run in terminal mode.  It is sort of
> annoying to lose the AIM connection just for restarting X, and also it would
> be easier to manage through SSH if it were text only.  I have talked to the
> developer of the AIM client I use (Claudio Leite, who writes bsflite) and he
> said that he did look at the code for OTR but for some reason it wasn't easy
> for him to implement.  Not being a coder, I'm just wondering if there will
> any way to achieve this in the near future...

otrproxy is in fact specifically written to have a clear separation
between functionality and UI, exactly so someone could write a
text-based (ncurses?) front end.  Someone just has to volunteer to do
it.  [If someone does, we can give them help if needed, but there are no
spare cycles for us to do it ourselves just at the moment.]