[OTR-users] OTR proxy or OTR plugin with Miranda IM

Scott Ellis mail at scottellis.com.au
Tue Feb 7 22:30:27 EST 2006

Hi Paul,

What client do you have on the other end?

I have tested it using miranda on both ends, and had it working -
although I've had some transient issues keeping the state of the OTR library
on both sides in sync. Opportunistic works for me, and keys are generated
when needed although you can use the button to manually regenerate any keys.

I've been told it does not work when one end is gaim and one end is miranda
- i beleive i know why: gaim is all utf-8 internally, as is the otr library,
and protocol plugins would need to translate this to the protocol's encoding
when sending/receiving. Miranda (to put it very simply) uses utf-16
internally. At present i convert the outgoing messages to utf-8 before
passing them through the OTR library, then send them. On receive I do the
reverse. Perhaps I should be converting the output from the OTR library back
to utf-16 before passing the message on to the protocol plugin for sending -
i will test this when i get a chance.

Scott