[OTR-users] some questions

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Dec 30 13:27:38 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:41:18AM +1100, Scott Ellis wrote:
> regarding the html tags observed by miranda users:
>
> miranda does under certain circumstances (depending on which messaging
> plugins etc are in use) understand the 'square brackets markup' ("bbcodes")
> - but does not undertstand html natively
>
> it is my understanding (please correct me if i'm wrong) that both trillian
> and gaim undertstand html natively
>
> my position is that this is a gaim/trillian error - html tags are not
> supported by most im protocols - to my knowledge only AIM allows and
> prescribes that clients understand these tags. the AIM miranda pluigin has
> recently been altered to allow the OTR plugin the opportunity to decript
> messages before these tags are filtered by the protocol plugin - so at least
> for AIM this issue should have been resolved (note that there is an
> additional complication here when using the 'metacontacts' plugin that has
> also been resolved in the most recent release)

This strikes me as a "gaim/trillian/miranda/everybody" error.  To
provide unsurprising behavior that enables, rather than restricting, the
user, they should all be liberal in what they'll accept and strict in
what they'll emit.  In other words, none of them should be showing a
bunch of markup in your incoming messages, and all of them should adhere
to protocol specifications carefully when encoding messages.

Of course, they should all be fairly configurable in the above behavior
to suit the user's preferences as well, but that's more of a feature
than a fundamental "get it right" mandate.

"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do." - McCloctnick the Lucid