[OTR-users] some questions

readytogo2 readytogo2 at freenet.de
Sat Dec 30 12:42:11 EST 2006

Scott Ellis schrieb:
> regarding the html tags observed by miranda users:
>
> miranda does under certain circumstances (depending on which messaging
> plugins etc are in use) understand the 'square brackets markup' ("bbcodes")
> - but does not undertstand html natively
>
> it is my understanding (please correct me if i'm wrong) that both trillian
> and gaim undertstand html natively
>
> my position is that this is a gaim/trillian error - html tags are not
> supported by most im protocols - to my knowledge only AIM allows and
> prescribes that clients understand these tags. the AIM miranda pluigin has
> recently been altered to allow the OTR plugin the opportunity to decript
> messages before these tags are filtered by the protocol plugin - so at
> least
> for AIM this issue should have been resolved (note that there is an
> additional complication here when using the 'metacontacts' plugin that has
> also been resolved in the most recent release)
>
> i am led to beleive that for other protocols (e.g. icq etc) trillian and
> gaim should not be trasnmitting these tags with the expectation that other
> clients will understand them
>
> a not insignificant amount of re-engineering was required with
> OTR/AIM/Miranda to allow correct operation - i am not at all familiar with
> the information path under trillian/gaim but i would not be at all
> surprised
> if there are architectural issues when it comes to decription of messages
> and the access plugins/protocols have as they make there way from the
> network level to the UI level
>
> Scott

This sounds very complicated. In order to fix this isusse who would be
responsible? Afaik miranda is still in active developement I feel this
problem should be reported and should/could be fixed. I have no idea if
this has been reportet yet. I just thought it`s the best way to ask
first here, because this problem happens since OTR is enabeld.