[OTR-users] OTR and portable GAIM

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Apr 18 15:36:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Scott Fringer wrote:

> Portable Gaim is designed to run from a USB stick and be totally
> independent of the host PC (settings and what-not are stored on the
> stick) so you can take your IM with you.
>
> It's been a while since I set mine up, but I am successfully using OTR
> with Gaim portable.  I think the part I'm remembering is that OTR
> expects Gaim to be installed on the hard drive, and can't find a
> portable install - so I had to install to a PC-based Gaim install and
> then transfer the plugin to my USB stick.

Hmm, so the installer cannot find the gaim installation on a USB stick,
because that gaim did not install any references about its location in the
registry. So the installer will never be able to find it.
But if it doesn't find it, perhaps I can then prompt it for a custom location
specified by the user (who presumably knows what he is doing).

I'll see if NSIS offers such an option,

Paul