[OTR-users] New gaim-otr and otrproxy ready for beta testing

CLAY SHENTRUP CLAY at BROKENLADDER.COM
Mon Oct 17 17:22:19 EDT 2005

Ian,

I think it's interesting, perhaps unusual, that you chose to have the
plug-in keept track of verification state. I envisioned that as something
you'd check before accepting the fingerprint in the first place. You'd call
the person, or use some trustworthy second channel, to get a fingerprint of
his long-term key. When using OTR with someone for the first time, you would
see a "popup" (this could just be text in the channel window) that would ask
you to accept the fingerprint. You wouldn't select "yes" until you had
verified it. I'm not sure why the new plug-in readily allows the user to
start the session knowing that the other party's fingerprint has not been
verified.

I also don't know what you mean by "finished". If a session has expired, the
lock should just be unlocked, right? I'm still not sure why you're not just
using locked and unlocked, two icons only.

Clay

P.S. I figured you were teaching at UC, since the original /. article called
you "UC crytographers" or something like that.