[OTR-users] New gaim-otr and otrproxy ready for beta testing

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Oct 17 17:07:34 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:25:31PM -0700, CLAY SHENTRUP wrote:
> Hey Ian,
>
> You think you could maybe ask some hippies at Cal to submit some nice
> drawings for those "lock" icons. We've got some 2nd grade art gumming up the
> works on the beta. Let's think padlock symbols eh? Makes for a much more
> intuitive interface methinks.

But it's also not quite enough information.  There are four states that
need to be distinguished:

- Not Private  (the "X")
- Unverified   (the "?")
- Private      (the checkmark)
- Finished     (the "do not enter")

I also wanted to stay away from the padlock to mean "private", since
most apps use it to mean "encrypted", which is a weaker notion that's
more like our "unverified".  But that could just be semantic games on my
part that no one else cares about.

But if someone donates some good-looking xpms for these four states, I'd
be happy to take a look.  They should have a transparent background, and
be around 20x20.  [The current ones are 24x24, and are a little too
large.]

And note that neither Nikita nor I is at Cal any more; we've both
graduated.  ;-)