[OTR-users] picture buttons

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Oct 14 12:21:07 EDT 2005

CLAY SHENTRUP <CLAY at BROKENLADDER.COM> writes:

> Then I also hope I'll never have to see a message to the effect of "you sent
> encrypted data to..who wasn't expecting it".

Perhaps that's just a UI issue, but I prefer to see that than to have
the key exchange and retransmit be silent.

> If the session isn't encrypted, my data should just go through
> unencrypted,

That's totally broken from a security viewpoint; if there's a reason
not to send data in the clear, it shouldn't happen without conscious
effort.  I set policy to 'require OTR' for most people, so if I don't
have an OTR security association key exchange is forced.

> or perhaps there could be an option to have it ask you
> first to make sure, just in case you're not capable of looking at
> the lock icon first.

It's not a questions of not being capable; crypto UIs should enable
people who are tired or stressed to make the right choices without
having to be careful.  Having to check lock icon constantly fails this
test.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>