[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri May 20 11:48:53 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:04:38PM -0700, Benjamin C. Wiley Sittler wrote:
> Great! Will this mean I can once again use otrproxy with an ncurses aim
> client over ssh, without needing to worry about bringing up VNC to accept
> a conversation every time one of my buddies with OTR tries to chat?
>
> If so, I'm all for it... seems much easier than the wxcurses path I was on
> previously...

Sort of: it *would* still pop up windows letting you know things, but
the default action of "don't click on anything" would cause the
conversation to proceed (though the windows would pile up).

We looked at wxcurses, but it seems it's not compatible with any recent
version of wxWidgets.  It looks likt the two ways to go (long term) for
people using non-graphical IM clients are:

1. Make a non-graphical (probably curses) UI for otrproxy.
    The otrproxy code is already divided between the "proxy" part and
    the "UI" part; wxui/ is a separate directory.  This was _exactly_ so
    that eventually a curses ui could be written.  In this case, all of
    the otrproxy output would go to a separate window, but screen(1) can
    take care of that.  This has the benefit of simultaneously
    supporting all non-graphical AIM clients that support proxies.

2. Make your IM client support OTR natively.
    This has the benefit of giving you OTR support for any IM protocol
    supported by your client, and not just AIM/ICQ.  The OTR UI
    information can also be more seamlessly integrated into your
    existing client's UI.