[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri May 20 11:38:19 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:25:27PM -0700, Nikita Borisov wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
> >
> > - The "private connection established" dialog goes away (or is made
> > optional), but the fingerprint and secure session id that are in there
> > now must still be accessible somehow (clicking the "OTR: Private"
> > button, maybe?).
>

> I think we should make the dialog go away, or at least replace it with some
> sort of inline display. I really like the way Adium handles that: it
> displays a message "Encrypted OTR chat initiated" inside the conversation
> window. Is there any hope of doing something like that under Gaim? It makes
> OTR so much nicer to use.

Certainly the "Private connection established" message can appear
inline, but there still needs to be a way to bring up the fingerprint /
session id.  [Since I believe in gaim, if there's no conversation window
open for a given buddy, messages directed to that window are simply
discarded.  That's OK for "Private connection established", but not for
the session id, etc.]

I'm thinking that clicking "OTR: Private" while a private conversation
is active will pop up a window with that info in it, and also a button
to refresh the private conversation (the current behaviour of clicking
"OTR: Private").  Clicking "OTR: Not private" when there's no private
conversation will continue to initiate one.