[OTR-users] IRC

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue May 17 09:25:29 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:45:12PM +0000, gorilla wrote:
> Hi
>
> I can't find any reference to which protocols the gaim OTR plugin
> handles - does it do all of them?
>
> I can't get OTR to work with IRC. When I click the 'OTR:not private'
> button, I get an OTR Error popup window saying "We received a malformed
> Key Exchange message from BlahBlah". The other client gets this text
> coming up in the chat window:

Indeed, it turns out IRC's maximum message size is too small for an OTR
Key Exchange Message to fit.  :-(  Long-term, we'll need some manner of
automated MMS-detection + fragmentation.

What protocols does OTR work on?  I'm pretty sure it's been tested on at
least:

- AIM
- ICQ
- Yahoo
- MSN
- Jabber
- Sametime

I think IRC's the only one it's been observed not to work on.

If anyone out there has tested OTR on another protocol, post a note to
let us know!  We should certainly add this info to the web page.

Thanks,