[OTR-users] DH moduli & AES keysize

Jason Cohen jcohen07 at brandeis.edu
Tue Mar 29 17:37:00 EST 2005

People who live in nations with oppressive dictatorships will not
protect themselves by using encryption. The very fact that they are
encrypting data I'm sure would be considered a crime. They also would
likely not have access to their own personal machines which would allow
them to install & setup OTR. We have some semblence of privacy because
the United States as well as Westsern Europe generally does not make it
a crime encrypt data.

Secondly, no one would be forced to use larger DH moduli. The default
could remain at 1536, with the option for the user of increasing the
size. As I said, the speed difference between 1536 and 2048 is probably
quite minimal on most systems (even a 450 mhz system) and a PDA wouldn't
be rekeying every message anyways. The WPES paper recommends rekeying
every minute.

 OTR could read from a default list of moduli with sizes say between
1536 and 4096 bits (so the moduli don't have to be sent over the
network). The OTR user initiating the private conversation would just
specify the key size he desires, and perhaps a minimum keysize he'll
accept to prevent rollback attacks. If a user specifies a moduli size
larger than 2048 a warning message could inform him that his might cause
slowdowns as gnupg already does. If the user doesn't mind or thinks the
slowdown will be minimal, and his buddy's have fairly fast computers he
can choose a larger bit size. If he doesn't have a preference or thinks
1536 bits is sufficient, he can keep the default size which I imagine
most people will do.

Jason