[OTR-users] OTR : session setup messages, issue.

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Mar 24 15:33:18 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 11:25:51AM -0500, ben k wrote:

> >Are you running any other gaim plugins that might be interacting with
> >message delivery/display?
>
> That was the issue.  Thanks for your prompt response.  After reading this,
> I noticed I still had the gaim-encryption plugin enabled.  I disabled it,
> shutdown-and-restarted gaim, and tried again and OTR worked perfectly.  The
> gaim-encryption plugin was interfering, I suppose.
>
> Thanks again, working perfectly now.

It's a fair cop, though; you shouldn't have seen that message.  I've
checked in a fix for the next version.  Here's the ChangeLog entry:

        * otr-plugin.c (process_receiving_im): If libotr tells us to
        ignore this received message (because it's an internal protocol
        message), it's not enough just to return 1 from this function,
        since other plugins that catch receiving-im-msg may later return
        0, and gaim only checks the return value from the last such
        plugin.  So we additionally set the message to NULL.

That's unexpected behaviour from gaim, if you ask me, but it was easy
enough to work around.  gaim-otr 2.0.2 will not display the internal
protocol messages just because you've got another plugin running.

Thanks for the detailed bug report!