[OTR-users] OTR : session setup messages, issue.

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Mar 24 11:03:27 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:39:40AM -0500, ben k wrote:
> I'm new to OTR and new to this list.  First, thanks for a great plugin.  I
> use Gaim 1.2.0 on Win XP Pro.  I encouraged many folks from my office to
> use your plugin so that the admin folks can't track what's being said all
> day long, and I think the plugin is great.
>
> The issue I'm having is minor, in that it only happens during the setup of
> a session with someone and goes away after the private session is
> established, but I wanted to see if I have something setup incorrectly,
> etc.  When I first sent a message this morning to someone, the OTR: status
> was Not Private (hadn't yet established...).  I didn't click on the button,
> I just sent a message.  Here's what happened:
>
> (10:34:56) MY_ID: test
> (10:34:57) OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to PERSON_X, who was
> expecting encrypted messages from you.
> (10:34:57) PERSON_X: ?OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to PERSON_X, who
> was expecting encrypted messages from you.
> (10:34:57) PERSON_X:
> ?OTR: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.
>

> The last message is really what I'm concerned about.  I also get that ?OTR:
>    message when I click on the button to establish the connection.  Any
> thoughts on whether or not I should do something differently?
>
> Thanks again for providing this program/plugin.  And thanks in advance for
> any suggestions or comments.

You seem to be seeing protocol messages that are received by the plugin,
even though the plugin marks them as "don't display this message to the
user".

> (10:34:57) OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to PERSON_X, who was
> expecting encrypted messages from you.
> (10:34:57) PERSON_X: ?OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to PERSON_X, who
> was expecting encrypted messages from you.

The first message was output by the OTR plugin.  The second is the raw
protocol message, which you're for some reason seeing, when you
shouldn't be.

Similarly, when your plugin received the OTR error message, it sent a
Key Exchange message to PERSON_X.  His client replied with a Key
Exchange message (with the Reply bit set to 1, which it is in the above
message).  Your client accepted the Key Exchange Message, but *also*
displayed it.

I'm wondering if this is a bug in gaim 1.2.0.  Could you possibly
temporarily downgrade to 1.1.4 and see if it still happens?
[Is anyone else on this list running gaim-otr with gaim 1.2.0?]

Are you running any other gaim plugins that might be interacting with
message delivery/display?

Thanks,