[OTR-users] (no subject)

Michael F. Wright michael.wright at janusresearch.com
Tue Mar 22 11:10:02 EST 2005

Yes. I apologize for this oversight. I was in a hurry when I posted. The
link I downloaded is at:
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/windows/otrproxy-0.2.0-2.exe

:)

> > One thing I noticed that's different bahavior than is expected from
> > the README is that, when I start otrproxy, there is no output
> > whatsoever. The output in the README that contains the
> copyright statement, version, etc.
> > does not appear until after I CLOSE the UI for otrproxy,
> which kills
> > the process.
>
> Aha!  We had gotten another report of "no output on Win32",
> but this report of "doesn't show up until the UI closes"
> suggests that Win32 needs fflush(stdout) more than other
> platforms.  We'll fix this in CVS.
>
> Thanks!

No problem.

> > When I start it up and try to connect to AIM via Trillian, it never
> > does connect. I have tried both the SOCKS5 and the HTTP proxies on
> > ports 1080 and 8080 respectively.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, when I run netstat after starting
> otrproxy, I do
> > see my system listening on those ports.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> We've also had other reports of this happening
> (intermittently; you should try again later) with Trillian.
> It turns out there's about to be non-trivial changes to the
> networking bits of the proxy, so we'll make sure to
> well-instrument them, so that we can figure out what's going on.
>
> One theory is that, on occasion, the AIM server just takes
> too long to respond, and the TCP connect times out.  Somehow
> this isn't being reported back to Trillian (the SOCKS5
> connection should close if this happens), and Trillian never
> retries it (which it does in the direct-connect case).
>
> Thanks again for the bug reports!

I've used an ssh proxy in the past to circumvent firewalls and the like. By
setting up a dynamic port-forwarding ssh tunnel, I've successfully connected
to AIM through a SOCKS4 proxy, which the ssh tunnel builds. So, I know that
other proxies work in a timely fashion from this PC.

If you need any other info from me, let me know! I'm looking forward to more
great code from the OTR team!