[OTR-users] (no subject)

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Mar 22 10:42:17 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:19:11AM -0500, Michael F. Wright wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've been using OTR and GAIM for some time with great success. However, when
> attempting to use the OTR proxy with the AIM protocol under Trillian, it
> fails.
>
> I installed the binary for Win32 located at:
> http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/binaries/windows/gaim-otr-2.0.1.exe

[I assume you mean the otrproxy.exe, not the gaim-otr.exe.]

> One thing I noticed that's different bahavior than is expected from the
> README is that, when I start otrproxy, there is no output whatsoever. The
> output in the README that contains the copyright statement, version, etc.
> does not appear until after I CLOSE the UI for otrproxy, which kills the
> process.

Aha!  We had gotten another report of "no output on Win32", but this
report of "doesn't show up until the UI closes" suggests that Win32
needs fflush(stdout) more than other platforms.  We'll fix this in CVS.

Thanks!

> When I start it up and try to connect to AIM via Trillian, it never
> does connect. I have tried both the SOCKS5 and the HTTP proxies on ports
> 1080 and 8080 respectively.
>
> Interestingly enough, when I run netstat after starting otrproxy, I do see
> my system listening on those ports.
>
> Any thoughts?

We've also had other reports of this happening (intermittently; you
should try again later) with Trillian.  It turns out there's about to be
non-trivial changes to the networking bits of the proxy, so we'll make
sure to well-instrument them, so that we can figure out what's going on.

One theory is that, on occasion, the AIM server just takes too long to
respond, and the TCP connect times out.  Somehow this isn't being
reported back to Trillian (the SOCKS5 connection should close if this
happens), and Trillian never retries it (which it does in the
direct-connect case).

Thanks again for the bug reports!