[OTR-users] gaim-otr hangs on generating key

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jun 30 15:18:24 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:04:48AM -0500, Ryan Bourque wrote:
> I've recently been using gaim-otr with my own jabber server for a few
> months with no problems at all, but I recently changed the domain
> name, updated all of the accounts and wiped all of our user's gaim
> settings.
>
> Now whenever anyone attempts to generate a key, it hangs gaim and I
> have to manually kill the gaim process.  The gaim debug output follows
> whenever I click on "Generate key":
>
> dns[11292]: nobody needs me... =(
> select() error: Interrupted system call
>
> It doesn't matter which account we generate a key for, it always hangs
> gaim.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled gaim, gaim-otr, libotr1 and
> libotr1-bin (debian sarge packages).

Hmmm.  A similar problem happened long ago on win32, and it turned out
to be a bug in the Windows version of libgcrypt (the win32 libgcrypt
entropy gatherer could get into an infinite loop).  But it seems
unlikely that debian would have the same issue.  (Especially since it's
worked before, and it's working for everyone else.)

The "select() error: Interrupted system call" seems weird; what signal
is being generated?  Could you strace and/or ltrace and see what's going
on?  Does gaim end up blocked, or in an infinite loop (what state does
"ps" show it being in)?

Note that generating a key *should* hang gaim, but only for a second or
so, while the key is being calculated.