[OTR-users] Does OTR Proxy support different ports

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Jun 5 14:03:14 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:47:30PM -0500, lists at lohengrin.net wrote:
> Does OTR proxy support using a different port for a connection.
>
> While at work, I can not connect to AIM using the standard 5190 port. I
> can however use the port 9898. I can not seem to get OTR proxy to work
> when I have the 9898 port specified. When I take the same computer home
> and use the standard port, I can connect via the proxy without problems.

So your work blocks port 5190, but you're just connecting to the AOL
server on port 9898?  [It seems that the AOL servers will accept a
connection on *any* port, so blocking outgoing port 5190 is kind of
useless.]

Indeed, otrproxy right now understands that a connection to port 5190
means to speak the OSCAR protocol.  I suppose that could be made
configurable, but it's not at the moment.

[As a suboptimal workaround, you could use gaim and gaim-otr while at
work, I suppose.]