[OTR-users] Encrypted File Transfers

Jason Cohen jcohen07 at brandeis.edu
Sat Apr 9 18:30:05 EDT 2005

No, out of bound connections (send file, and I assume Audio and Video too)
are not encrypted. I don't think OTR could possible work for audio/video,
as the DH key exchange is not *that* cheap, you'd need quite some random
and cpu for that.
You should probably think about setting up an IPsec or other type of VPN
tunnel between you and the other party with the A/V.

Paul

Why can't OTR use DH exchange for file transfers? SILC does so and it seems to work fine. Rather than rekeying every message, you would just rekey after a specific amount of time or amount of packets/bytes. SILC keys once per session and only rekeys after 3600 seconds or a specific # of bytes (not sure of the exact number).